Austin's Atlas aspires to acknowledge and encourage thoughtful, creative, and inclusive pedestrian scaled improvements to the city. Have an place you'd like to explore/expand upon? We'd love to help!
Austin Placemaking Toolkit/ Guide
Tools/steps for ideation and execution of informal and formal proposals (coming soon!)
Some starting points/questions to contemplate:
1) If you don't already know, consider finding out who owns the property in question--is it private? in the R.O.W. and City Owned? Take note of the address and visit TravisCAD for more info.
2) Who are the primary users/stakeholders of the space/place? Does the space/place have any needs? Could a dialogue with the aforementioned people lead to an organic idea?
3) Will the outcome be an amenity (lighting, a bench, signage)? a piece of art? an event? all of the above?
4) WIll it need maintenance? If so, who will become the caretaker of the space/place?
5) Will the project be more likely to be successful with permission? or without?
6) What are the laws/codes in play?
7) What are the risks?
8) Is there room for "yes and-ing...."? Meaning, can someone else build upon the initial contribution?
Ways to help fund a proposal:
Keep Austin Beautiful Grants (Due Aug. 1)
City of Austin Neighborhood Partnering (June 1, Oct. 1)
Austin Parks Foundation Grants (due Apr. 30, Sept.30)
Or, consider partnering with a private entity that could provide funding and/or space.